Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passwords not changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvuong

Technical User
Jun 17, 2013
US
Hello,

I am currently having issues changing passwords in SQL Server Management Studio 2008 R2. I have followed the steps as described by but the new password is not recognized. The password change looks like it goes through as there are no error screens, but I cannot log into my database.
Other accounts are working, but the invalid passwords also occur when creating a new database user login. The new user cannot login with the password.
I have tried restarting my SQL server, but I have not found any additional information. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Seems to be a macola issue. Will continue looking into it.

You may have a "Password Policy" problem. Try changing the password to something "complicated". 10 characters long including numbers, symbols, upper case letters and lower case letters.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Our password policy shouldn't be that strict as we have passwords ranging from one letter to a name or phrase. I have tried changing it to something more complicated, but still did not work. I now get the error that I cannot change password again because it is too soon. Anyway bypass this or know of the duration?

Code:
With    Password = 'YourNewPasswordHere',
        CHECK_EXPIRATION = OFF,
        CHECK_POLICY = OFF,
        UNLOCK

If this does not work, remove the UNLOCK from the end.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back