Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passwording Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

olgaportland

Programmer
Feb 16, 2002
US
Is there a way to password folders, along with their contents, without going to expensive software. I work at home and want to make entire areas of my hard drive unavailable, without restricting the use of this computer to myself.

You can, but only if you are running Windows NT, 2000 or XP. You have to convert the relevant partition to NTFS (you cannot password files on a FAT or FAT32 drive)and then you can right-click the relevant file and an option to protect this file will magically appear!

PS Partition Magic is a particularly good program to change the file structure of a drive without formatting - costs about £40 (i think).

Sorry, when I was talking about files I actually meant folders... I don't think you can protect individual files - although you can apply password protection by zipping them and adding a password to the zip process. I think you can even protect individual files by password through word etc. Not sure how tho'.

I'm not sure if you can accomplish what you're trying.
But, in W2K Pro you can set rights for just yourself on those particular folders.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back