Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passworded Word document keeps instance of word open on HTML

Status
Not open for further replies.

joannef

Programmer
May 15, 2002
CA
I have a linked word document that I just recently added a password to for only authorized users to view the contents. Because the link on the web page worked fine before this password was added, now I am finding that once I open the document and add the password, an instance of WORD is kept open and that when you look at it no document or page is showing and you have to close it manually.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can get my document to open nicely in the framed web page again without the WORD application opening as well?

Thanks for your time,

Joanne

After looking into this phenomenon on my own computer I would have this to say:

The instance of Word that appears does so because it is that that must accept the password for the document, not your browser.

While you might find a way to use VBScript to get rid of the unused Word window, it's unlikely since your browser never had control over that window to begin with.

As for solutions, the only way I know of (and I am by no means an expert) is to turn control of password protection over to the browser. Perhaps you could put the file in a password-protected directory on the web server. You would then be prompted for the password in the browser on the attempt to enter the directory. The password for the directory could be the same as what it currently is for the file.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back