Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

password

Status
Not open for further replies.

meloadri

Technical User
Apr 7, 2009
US
I started new at this company and they have a pix 506e. They seem to have forgotten the administrator password to get to the console. Is there a way to reset this password? Also, is there a GUI in this pix or is it a command console?

Thanks, I will look at the link you sent me. I have a different question. We are implementing video conference and it needs to be connected outside of the firewall. My ISP said that since they are not providing DHCP, NAT or anything like that, they dont have to do anything at their end, that it needs to be done at my end. If Im skipping my firewall, what am I suppose to configure? He said I can put my VC in a public IP I have available, but where is the calbe coming from the VC box plugs into?

I would not put my VCs on the public internet without any security in place, this is not a good practice. However if your isp has provided you multiple public ip(s) it can be done, depending on how the link from the isp is terminated. If you explain how your topology is, then I'm sure we'll get a better understanding of the setup and be able to advise accordingly.

I have the T1 coming in to a router provided and managed by the ISP. From there it goes to a Cisco Pix 506e FW, then to my network. The RJ45 connection from the VC is coming into the computer room. The router that I have has no free ports so what I was thinking was to put an unintelligent switch in the router and then put the FW in the switch. Then connect the VC to that switch. If this connection works, is there anything to be done to either the router or the FW because of the switch? The installers guaranteed me security by turning off Telnet,Web access and such to avoid any threats. Hope I explained myself right!

I would use an intelligent switch, but yes an unmanageable switch will do, provided speed and duplex settings match.
PS: Your VC will have a public ip, which raises a question about whether your internal network need access to th VC.
T1
|
ROUTER
|
SWITCH
/ \
FW VC

Okay. Since the FW will no longer be directly into the router (the switch will be), is there any type of configuration I need to do to either the router or FW? I do have IP 192.168.3.254 in the router port and 192.168.3.253 in the FW port.

Just ensure correct speed and duplex settings on all connected devices and switchports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back