Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

password windows when logging on

Status
Not open for further replies.

hostis

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
GB
when users log on in the main password window - user, password and domain - once the PC has started logging on it comes up again with a new windows password screen - user and password.

how can I remove this so that the user only has to enter a password once in the Network logon screen when logging onto the machine?

help me please... :->

can you supply more info - there must be a reason they get that prompt. What are they accessing? Is it everyone?

Caused by different passwords on different systems?

Do you have more than one client (ie Novell)?

Hi,

See this thread: thread615-5104

Your Windows clients that do this are likely to have different passwords for local login. If you clear these passwords for the user profiles on each local machine, you should be okay.
Otherwsie there are some registry hacks stated on the above thread.
Hope this helps.

Will

WillShakespeare.

the thread attached I had viewed but the key that has been mentioned is not in the location specified...

also, you said "If you clear these passwords for the user profiles on each local machine, you should be okay."...

how can that be done. please advise.

cheers.

Hostis [bigcheeks]

In Control Panel, There is a Password app, for WIndows passwords. I think it is called Passwords (I use XP now, and this has different settings). The icon should be a set of keys, or a padlock, or both, if memory serves me.
Go into this, and select the local user, and Set Password. Then you should type in the old password, the one they use at the moment on the second logon screen, and then just keep the new password, and repeat new password fields clear.
Let me know if this helps! :)

Will

Try a search on the users pc for *.pwl. Delete them, have them log on again, and it will ask for a password. Clear the username, and select OK. No more passwords for local machine. I know this works for win 9x, not sure about W2K or xp. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
"Every step of life shows much caution is required".
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832); German poet and playwright.

No, Glen ... It doesn't work with W2K and XP ... This problem could be caused by a local user and a domain user sharing the same NETBIOS name but different passwords ...

I could be wrong ... a admit to that but ...

Try changing the password of the local user

Hithlum, thanks. Have used this method with 9x machines for ages, glad to have it cleared up on other os'. Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
"Every step of life shows much caution is required".
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832); German poet and playwright.

WHEN LOGGING ON TO WINDOWS MY PASS WORDS EXPIRES WHY???? HOW DO I CHANGE THE SETTING SO THAT IT NEVER EXPIRES?

HAWK123456,

If your in a domain, then your domain admin has setup your password to exprire.

If your not in a domain, go to the control panel, go to admin settings, go to local security settings, go to account policies, go to password policy change the max password age to 0.

You will need Admin rights to do this. If your in a domain then there is nothing you can do to overwrite the domain settings, unless you can convince your admin to set your password to never expire. CJ
- Jr. Rocket Man

What OS is hostis using? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

This came in the Septemer issue of Windows and .Net magazine. Don't know if it will help but look in the registry, hkey_local_machine, Software, Microsoft, Windows NT, Winlogon. The article was acutally about changing the sign on screen, so you could customize it from Logon to Windows to whatever, but the article didn't go into any more detail. Don't know if this will help, but when I went there, (The registry), my username was in there. Can't hurt to look. Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]
"There is nothing in this world constant but inconstancy."
Jonathan Swift (1667-1745); Irish author.

Hostis - what OS are you using?

try going to control panel and changing the windows apssword to match the network password. there should be a control panel applet for passwords. in there yuo'll see something similar to "change password"

or at the logon screen there should be a change password button (one of the three buttons when you select more option) go there and change the windows password to match the network password...

try that out.

but let us know what OS you are using

Hostis - what OS are you using?

try going to control panel and changing the windows password to match the network password. there should be a control panel applet for passwords. in there you'll see something similar to "change password"

or at the logon screen there should be a change password button (one of the three buttons when you select more option) go there and change the windows password to match the network password...

try that out.

but let us know what OS you are using

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back