Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Reuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

bxmakin

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2001
US
We just got a system with AIX 5.3 and migrated our existing users by copying the passwd related files. One thing we noticed that ever since the migration the passwd reuse policy has broken. Typically we set up a user with the following characterstics:

NUMBER OF PASSWORDS before reuse 2
WEEKS before password reuse 26

For a newuser we leave the passwd blank so that the user can choose their passwd. The new users when login, get prompted to choose a new passwd and keep on getting a message " The passwd was recently used" regardless of what they pick and in this instance these are newusers so they do not even has a history.
We have to set WEEKS before passwd reuse to 0 for the users to get it to work. The same thing happens to existing users when they come up on their passwd expiration and have to pick a new passwd.
Any thoughts.

What files did you copy?

See thread52-1214095

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

we copied
/etc/passwd
/etc/security/user

From my experience I copied over

/etc/passwd
/etc/security/passwd
/etc/group
/etc/security/group
/etc/security/user

After coping those files I have had no problem with users password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back