Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

password recovery passport 8600

Status
Not open for further replies.

jempie

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2002
BE
can someone tell me if it is possible to recover a password for the passport 8600 (rwa) ?
thanks

Not easily, you will need to default the config to do this.
Take a copy of the config and then try editing this using the edit command, change the passwords and try rebooting the switch with the edited config.

It's funny to see so many people having
problems with logging into a cp cause
they forgot the password, anyway if this
was in my hands I would be able to crack
the password for you but it's not and I
can't share that kind of info with you.
Why don't you send it back to Nortel who
would be glad to reset the password for ya.

Ben
Nortel Networks
Montreal, Canada

Unfortunately you will need to default the switch to factory defaults to recover the password, but print off a copy of the current config to assist with quick re-config.

Try to upgrade with another release version, like 3.2.1 or 3.2.2. It will cause paswords reset to default: user: rw password rwa

For recovery (passwords lost), you have to reset the switch and then apply the following command in BOOT MONITOR MODE:
prompt:

reset-passwd

If you have a copy of Device Manager and you know the rwa Community String, You can use this to change your rwa console password without the need to reset your switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back