Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password recovery on Catalyst 2948G

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake78

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
GB
I have tried to recover the password using the Cisco instructions and the command to set the register (confreg 0x2142) is not recognised by the switch. When I use the help the command is not listed. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

this works on a 2900 switch so don't know if it works on this one.
make sure you are on console port
hold the "mode" button on the front of the switch at the same time you turn it on, let go of the mode buton a sec or 2 after the led light above prt one is no longer lit.
when "switch:" shows up type
flash_init
then
load_helper
then show dir "dir flash:"
rename the config.text file to another name so youu can reboot type boot then you are into a switch with no config file and no passwords, change the config.text file back and copy from flash to sys:run-con and then you can change the password to what you want.
hope this helps

The 2948G (at least the layer 2 model) runs Cat4000 firmware. Therefore the password recovery procedure is the same. If memory serves me well, you have to connect to the console port, reset the switch and after it comes back up you have 30 Seconds to log in without password - just <return>.

Cheers *Rob

Thanks for your help.
I have managed to get in but I have found that TACACS is enabled but I cannot switch it off for the local tuhorisation has anyone got any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back