Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password "recovery" in Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycotropic

Technical User
Jul 9, 2001
US
HI;
I work in research.
We are collecting patient data using a device which writes to an Access database. We will be seeing around 300 folks data using this device. It would save an INCREDIBLE amount of time if I could load this database with my patient data so that the tech won't have to type in 10 or 12 required variables for each participant since these data are already in another database.

Here's the issue; the company password protects the database for absolutly no usefull reason that they can explain. I've spoken to their tech support and they indicated that the password was there so that nobody could get at the patient data. I calmly explained the I HAVE patient permission to USE their data. No luck.

So I come to you folks to ask; how does one "recover" an Access password?
Google shows me many many programs that claim (for around $25) that they can "recover" any Access password. Are any of them real? Anybody care to suggest one? I'll pay the money I suppose, Or send the database to anyone who will crack (whoops; recover) the password.

Thanks!

"Man is the cheapest computer we can put into a spacecraft and the only one we can mass-produce with unskilled labor." Werner von Braun

Unfortunately, even though you have permission from the patients, you do not have permission from the owners of the database. As a result, cracking (or whatever other term you choose to use) your way into it is (in my eyes) unethical, and might possibly even be illegal.

Are you really that desperate to access the database that you would risk your job? Most companies don't take kindly to people breaking passwords they have in place. If they won't let you in willingly, don't force your way in.

Unfortunately, even though you have permission from the patients, you do not have permission from the owners of the database. As a result, cracking (or whatever other term you choose to use) your way into it is (in my eyes) unethical, and might possibly even be illegal.

Are you really that desperate to access the database that you would risk your job? Most companies don't take kindly to people breaking passwords they have in place. If they won't let you in willingly, don't force your way in.

I am the owner of the database. I purchased the equipment that is used to collect the data and the storage bin for that data. I see nothing in the least unethical about saving my data entry staff time and using the data that I paid to collect. If I were to take that database design and sell it someone else THAT would be unethical.

RE "risking my job" - I am the data manager. My job is to provide the investigators access to the data that the funding agency funded us to collect. I am risking my job by letting some tech with bizar priorities refusing me access to my own data. That I should use their interface to export, individualy, a few hundred observations is inefficient and mildly rediculious. The database is resident on my server and I own the data.

Update; the password has been recovered.

"Man is the cheapest computer we can put into a spacecraft and the only one we can mass-produce with unskilled labor." Werner von Braun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back