Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

password protection on auto answer???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxphoneman

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
Do most analog external modems have the ability to prompt the caller for a user name and password? I have a few RS232 devices that I need to remotely monitor without PC's hooked to them and the devices don't have any kind of login process to protect themselves from a hacker.So I have to unplug when not testing.

thanks,
Todd

Some modems have this type of functionality, it is called "call back" or "dial-back" security in most manuals, so that is what you should be looking for. I believe that all USR Courier modems have call back security built in. I know that some of their Sportster product line does as well, but I think that it is only the ISDN model.

That said, I'd recommend that you use something like a Teltronics SEB:

or ION Networks' Sentinnel:

Both provide some level of authentication, and the ION Networks product allows the use of one-time passwords and two-part authentication.

Both also have products that allow you to hook multiple serial devices to a single modem, providing you some cost savings in telephone lines, but it will take a lot of months to pay for the devices.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back