Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Protecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

denice

Programmer
Mar 15, 2003
US
Greetings
I have inherited a FM database which is extremely indepth, but open to everyone with the password. We have different groups now in the system and I have set up a mainpage With three different buttons. Each button sends the user to their own area (layout). These areas have field protections and only what they *need*. Now I just have to figure out how to protect the main screen with passwords.
Is it possible to password code just a button? So that when a button is depressed it asks for the password. And can there be more than one?

Thanks to all who can help.
~D

Denice :)
Mac OSX, Running Classic for Quark 4.1. System G4.

I can't think of a way to do this without incorporating a simple front-end database. This front-end database does nothing but take care of processing you buttons and opening the 'real' database based on the button pushed. Of course when the 'real' database opens it will handle asking them for the password as just as it does now.

This can be done on a new layout. Each of your buttons will have it's own script. The script opens a dialog allowing the current user to input their login credentials. These credentials are compared to the authorized list and the script pass or fails the login. You don't really need 3 buttons to do this. I would have the database open to a login in screen. When the user logs in, the script can be built to know where the user can go and takes them to "their" layout.

There are many things to trap when doing this. You have to turn "abort" off for the script. You don't want the user to be able to hit cancel or esc and go where they want. The script needs to always control the navigation. One tip in writing the script, turn abort on for development, then off for implementation. You need to also lock out the side bar navitation.

The script would have 3 parts. One for each button action. You can have a field for the password. The user purshes a button which resumes the script. The script has to have a if() statement, if(password = "mary123" or password = bill456,
goto layout xyz.

Put all of your passwords for the xyz screen in the if statement. When bob789 logs in, the script needs to have a fail script. This could be a loop that brings them back to the login screen for another try. Maybe a dialog that tells the user to try again. The screen should also have an exit button allowing the user to quit.

I hope this helps!

Marty

Just one thing to add to Marty's explanation.
If you have multiple users that will access each area, you can assign passwords to groups and then create your validation using
If (Status(currentgroup) = "sales", . . .
This way you can assign individual passwords, but maintain the scripts off the groups which won't change.

By setting the script in the documents preferences as perform on start up you won't need any buttons at all. Each group will automatically start in their area (layout). All internal navigation will need to be scripted as Marty described above.

Phil

I do appreciate everyones advise, although I dont understand any of it. I am not the database guru, I inherited it.

I simply want to put a password on a button.

Thanks for everyones input.
~D

Okay then the short answer is yes, you can put a password on a button by using the Custom Dialog script step in the script for the button. You then have to create the validation for the password by adding an if/then statement after the dialog to compare the password used to a field containing the password expected.

Phil

Email your file to me if possible and I'll start it for you.

mlisonbee@charter.net

Marty

All of your advise is very helpful. I found a way around the passwording situation. I simply changed the color of my button so that no one can see it. I know where its at, so no one would think to click it. I am keeping people out of the sensitive area who dont know how to do things. They are permitted to go into an area that is fully protected. They just have to stay out of mine.

Marty, I wouldnt even know how to email this thing. Its on a server in the other building, but thanks.
Phil that was the simpilest answer yet, and I understood it.

Thanks to everyone~!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back