Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Protecting Switchboard Buttons 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenadys

Technical User
Aug 14, 2002
US
Hi, I've been looking through the postings for password protecting switchboard buttons. All the postings have helped out a great deal, but I have encountered a problem.

On my Main Switchboard form there are 3 buttons (one for each dept.), this is where I put the prompting for passwords through the buttons 'on click' property. It works great, enter password, it goes on to next
switchboard page. But once I'm in any one of the dept switchboard pages and I click on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd button, it prompts me for the password of the corresponding dept. Is there a work around solution to this problem?

Thanks, SKenady

How are ya kenadys . . . .

It sounds as if the buttons on the dept switchboard pages have the same name (thats the name on the [blue]Other Properties Tab[/blue] for each button) as the buttons on the Main Switchboard, and are calling the same routines (by name) in a module.

Could this be the case?

If not, I would set a breakpoint in the code for one of culprits on a dept switchboard page, and see whats causing it!

cal.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

why not... instaed having a password, just have the button validate the user id. if they are allowed then the button functions correctly if they are not allowed then the button does nothing at all. this saves time and means the user does not have to input a password. also you run the risk of a user obtaining another departments password, which causes you to reset the code and then to distribute the new password to all the users.

"My God! It's full of stars...

I just looked at the code behind the switchboard, each button calls a function by the same name HandleButtonClick(1)-HandleButtonClick(8)on any switchboard within the main board. I see where my problem is.
I put my prompt for password in the 'on click' event for
the (ex.) 1st button (HandleButtonClick(1))which asks for password, if correct, then calls the function HandleButtonClick(1). So, on any switchboard, if the 1st
button is clicked, it's going to prompt for password and then call the function because of the event in the button's property. I'm going to try putting the prompt within the function where the switchboard itemnumber and argument are equal to the defaults itemnumber and argument for the main board. I'll let you know if this works.

Thanks for you help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back