Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Protecting an External Hard Drive on a Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRCtech

Technical User
Jul 21, 2011
US
I currently have a Western Digital MyWorld II in use for backing up the computers on our network and to have a shared folder on. I have discovered that anybody that connects to our ethernet ports can then see that hard drive and obviously do whatever they want on it. Is there any way to secure the folders on the hard drive so that only the people we want to have access to it will have access? I'm open to suggestions on various ways of doing it. All of our computers are running Windows and most of them are Windows 7.

I can't get into the management section. I click on configure and it brings up IE which says "Internet Exploerer Cannot Display this Webpage".

I've tried it in IE, Chrome, and Firefox. Same result for all 3. I just put in an email to WD for support on that problem. It looks like I have the answer to my initial question. Thanks rclarke250 for that. Now I just have to get to where I can make those changes.

Do you have Java, Flash and Shockwave plugins installed for your browsers? Some "web" pages require them in order to display the login box.

Google "Get Java"

Goold "Flash Test

Goold".... GO OLD...

Already did, thanks.

;)

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back