Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password protect Outlook? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

downtime

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2002
US
Is there a way to protect my Outlook messages from being viewed by other people. I am looking for a way to password protect Outlook. Any suggestions?

If you are on an Exchange server environment you can set NT Authentication to NONE to be prompted with a password to open Outlook each time.

If you are not on Exchange then you can add a password to your personal folder by going into the properties of the personal folder.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Do you mean to protect Outlook on startup or actually the messages?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Marc, either one would be nice. I just want to be able to leave the workstation (lunch) and not have people reading my email.

Ever consider the simple solution? A screensaver with password?
Protecting Oultook app , see joegz post.
To encrypt message, you nee 3rd party software, but it is a very very bad idea because everyone you mail to will need it to decypher it.
The screensaver is free and works, and not only for Outlook.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back