Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevron

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2002
GB
I have just installed Samba 2.25 on a Red Hat 7.3 box in an NT domain.
We have got all the users into Samba and the machine can be seen from Network Neighbourhood.

The machine can be accessed when it is double clicked on but the shares cannot. I am being presented with a security box. I don't want to set the shares so that guest can access them. But to use the username/password of the user that is on the domain.

Please help.

I think you do this:

From the shell prompt type:

smbpasswd -a UserName(UserName should be the name you use to logon to the network/computer)

You should then be presented with a password prompt. Make this password the same at the one you use to logon to the network/computer.

That should get rid of the security box for you. Now, I think there might be an easier way than doing this for all your users but this might get you started.

Let me know if it worked. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

I have joined the domain and adding the users with smbpasswd -a UserName seems to work. But is there an easier way of adding the users or do I have to add them manually?
Adding 70+ users one at a time is going to be be long and tedious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back