Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password policy won't take effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvgirl64

MIS
Aug 27, 2002
US
I need to test the password policies on a few select users (max duration, min duration , set length, complexity, etc). So I created a new OU and moved one user into it. I created a new GPO for that OU, which includes enabling the above password policies. However, when I log that user on, I can change the password to anything I want, it doesn't seem to be affected by the policy. I gave it plenty of time to replicate. The group policy for my regular Users group does not have any such policies defined. What step am I missing? Is this an inheritance problem?
Thank you for any advice.

When defining password policies are you going into the local security policies or domain security policies? And if you are applying policies to the domain you must remember that:

"One big note about password, account lockout, and Kerberos group policies: They are applied at the domain level only. Domain controllers will receive their settings from domain-level account policies and will ignore the settings in policies linked to OUs. In fact, you’ll see an error in the Event Log if an OU-level policy contains these settings. So unfortunately, you still can’t make administrator types change their passwords more often than everyone else does (not without a big stick, anyway)."

Quoted from Mastering Windows 2000 server.

Hope this helps, if not I will be happy to offer more assistance.

I am going into AD Users and Computers, right clicking on the OU I created, properties and then Group Policy. My default domain policy has password length and duration configured, but not complexity. I was trying to test the complexity with just a few users to see how much confusion it caused, before going domain-wide with it. So, I can't do that, is that what you are telling me?
Thanks again for your advice.

No, you have to apply policy to the domain. I confirmed this with the director of networking at my college.

Glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back