Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwant

Technical User
Jul 2, 2001
US
In redhat 7.3, is there a way to change the password policy. I do not want passwords to fail because they are in the dictionary.

If this is done in pam.d, can someone tell me what to do to change this?

Do the password changes fail, or does it just issue a warning message? Most just issue the warning and do allow you to use the password.

ChrisP

They fail all together. It says BAD password and then asks for a new password. I kow that it has something to do with the pam_cracklib.so, I just need to know what variable or option I can add to lessen the requirements as to what is a good password. I can see how to make it harder, but not simpler.

On my RedHat 7.3 system, I can use passwords that are in the dictionary. This is what it looks like:
Code:
[root@localhost /]# passwd someuser
Changing password for user someuser.
New password: 
BAD PASSWORD: it is based on a dictionary word
Retype new password: 
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
[root@localhost /]#
This is a standard install, not much has been changed except for webservices. //Daniel

danielhozac,
your test isn't a good one because there are restrictions don't apply to root

Yes, that is correct, these rules apply only when the user is trying to change their own password. I have my system so the UNIX and Samba password are to sync.

Then why don't you su to root and change it from there? I never have any issues as I always work as root. //Daniel

It is not about me changing passwords, it is about my users changing passwords, and I am not about to hand out the root password to everyone.

passwd uses crack to check passwords this is set in the /etc/pam.d/passwd file
looking for something like this:
passwd password requisite /usr/lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
passwd password required /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so use_authtok

Now I am not sure on this but I think if you comment out the line pam_cracklib passwd should no longer do password checking using crack

DTVjgarner is correct, disable crack since it's bad for your health ;-).
But on my RedHat 7.3 system the /etc/pam.d/passwd file only contain these lines:
Code:
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required	/lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required	/lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
Any thoughts? //Daniel

I'm not sure if this will work, but it can't hurt to try. Edit the /etc/pam.d/system-auth file. Change this line...

password required /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=

...to...

password optional /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=

Let us know if that worked...

ChrisP

Well, I guess the good news is that I tried everything that you guys have suggested, I appreciate the effort. DTVjgarner the passwd file is the wrong place to try to change all this. The pam_stack.so, says to call another file in the pam.d directory, in this case it calls system-auth. When you comment out the cracklib, you eliminate the password sync that happens between samba and linux/unix. It appears that I will be going around to each user and doing their passwords at thier computers, or being mean and making them use passwords that are tougher to crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back