Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password on a hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeconn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2002
US
We have a hard drive in an IBM notebook that someone put a password on. This is an actual hard drive password. IBM will gladly charge us a large sum of money to remove the password. Does anyone know how to remove the password from this hard drive? It is totally useless to us now.

There was another thread somewhere recently in regard to a password protected toshiba drive which led me to do a little looking and I did see the issue mentioned on ibm drives as well. I dont think I saw any "free" solutions for either toshiba or ibm, there were some third party operations that said they could get them off - at least sometimes.

do some creative google searching on something like - remove hard drive password ibm -- or -- password protected hard drive ibm -- and you should turn up those options if you're interested. I did not save any of the references.

Here's a screen to get you started.

The best optimizer is between your ears.
M. Abrash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back