Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password length

Status
Not open for further replies.

OV

Programmer
Nov 4, 2002
US
Is there a way to change the default minimum password length
in standard authentication?
OV

Hi OV,

There is no default password length and I lack knowledge of how you are trying to this.

Hi Ashimmalik,

In standard authentication, you can set the security such that the user has to reset the password when he logs in for the first time (just like in windows NT). However the user can select any password, including a blank password.
I would like to force them to set a password with a length of at least 6 characters.

thanks, OV

This could easily be implemented into the web. A javascript function could be invoked that checks the changePasswordForm form in changepassword.asp...in addition, you could force every user to have to change their password by forcing them to change their password upon next login...standard functionality in the user manager.

If your users are coming in through the desktop it would be harder.

Thanks, Chael. I guess a javascript function will probably be acceptable. I will also look at their SDK.

OV

SDK is certainly a route you can pursue. I think the solution is much more simple than that. Field enforcement at the web is something that can be implemented very quickly with client-side scripting. Browse any search engine for "Javascript Password Checker" and you'll come up with many examples that can be borrowed, purchased, etc. Just my opinion and if you have a better way of doing it, pls share.

Chael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back