Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password issue Word 2003 (not a request to crack)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2003
US
I am using Microsoft Office Word 2003.

I saved a document with a password and am unable to recover it. I am SURE I used the correct password (it's long). So I tested it on another document (creating another document with the same password). It seems that Word will accept the long password, but will not allow it to open the document. Very strange.. the password is 13 characters long and consists of only letters lower case.
Anyone hear of any issues like this?

No, my cap locks were no on..:)

Bristol

CTO
MSCE, CCNA, Novell, Symantec SS
Bristol took the red pill - Don't let what you can't do stand in the way of what you can

Let me be very clear, I am not asking for password cracking / hacking solutions. I know the password, I am positive I typed it in correctly, but for some reason it will not work. I am thinking that it has something to do with the length of the password? Is Word screwed up? I've looked for related issues within MS tech sites, and cannot find any related issue.

CTO
Bristol took the red pill - Don't let what you can't do stand in the way of what you can

Hi bristolxyz

I don't know the answer to your question but I password protected a word document (Version 2003) with 13 lower case characters and it opened up correctly (so maybe not an issue with the length of the password).

May be someone else will have some more info for you.

Lee

Actually I answered my own question, thought I would share the results.
Word 2003 only recognized the first 13 characters of the password, so whe you're typing in the password initiattl, if you go beyond the 13th character, it just doesnt register it.. pretty wierd...
Anyway, thanks for the ideas...

CTO

Can you give full details of what you're doing - type of encryption, etc. (and with what version, service pack, OS, etc.) as it sounds pretty wierd and I can't duplicate it (Word 2003, no service packs, Windows XP Home SP1 on current PC - can try some other combinations later).

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

Professional Office Developers Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back