Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Expiration/logon scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtmoore

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
US
I saw there was a thread and it answered a few questions I had but I have a few more for the experts.

My company is about to deploy Cisco wireless. The deployment of the controllers and access points is no problem. The problems or questions I have is with the clients.

What clients are people using that enables the wireless to conenct before you log on to the domain so password expiration and logon scripts work?

I have downloaded the Cisco Secure Services Client and that seems to work fine but my VP wants to know if there is a Microsoft solution or another solution that works across multiple brands of laptops. Currently we support Dell, Lenovo, Sony, and some others so we do not really want to rely on the individual laptops wireless client because that will make the rollout process harder.

Sorry for the long winded post but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

You can use the built-in Microsoft 802.1x supplicant in Windows XP, this supports Machine Authentication (which is what you are after). You need to configure your infrastructure (i.e. AD and IAS) to support this but it is pretty easy:

I thought the Cisco Secure Services Client was more for the Clean Access stuff (NAC)?.

HTH

Andy

Thats what I thought about Cisco as well but it does handle your wireless as well. Like I said before it seems to fix all of our issues, its just that our VP doesn't want to be totaly in bed with Cisco which I can understand.. Thanks for the link I will check it out now... I have read some stuff on the Microsoft Zero Config and so far everyhting I read says it causes issues but I still want to test it to see if it works in our enviroment.

I haven't used the new Cisco client but they bought it from some folks called Meetinghouse. I used one that Juniper now owns...it used to be the Funk Odyssey Client. It was feature rich. There is no perfect solution. If someone has one, I'd like to know. The problem I'd like to see resolved is one of using only wired nic and turning off the wireless when "docked". The Thinkpad access connections says they do this but the software seems buggy.

The Cisco client is suppose be able to turn the wireless off when it detects wired but I will let you know on Monday when the Cisco SE comes to town....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back