Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbankscharles

Technical User
Oct 8, 2023
US
We are a residential facility providing phone service to some of our residents. A lot of residents do not use voice mail, so in IP Office previous admin left the password blank. Because of that, my error log is filled with errors about passwords not being long enough and not meeting complexity. Since I'm trying to clean up things, I have now unchecked password enforcement.

Now, when my users pick up voicemail they are given a message that they must change their password and that it must be at least 6 characters long.
Why would disabling password enforcement require users to change their password and, if there is no enforcement, require 6 characters?

I'm sure once you set a password users don't need to worry about it unless they are trying to access from a different location.

ipohead, correct, as long as they have the Vextn source number.

APSS/ACIS/ACSS-SME
not arrogant, just succinct.

I'm sorry, none of the responses make any sense. When a user calls to pick up voice mail they are given a message to change their password. The password has to be at least six characters. I don't understand why this is happening after disabling password complexity. The system should not even be requiring a password, let alone requesting the user change it.

If you read the Avaya wording very carefully, I think they are saying that once enforcement is switched on, switching it off has no effect - "The enforcement is not forced during upgrade but after checking, it can not be cleared." - ie. its a one-way journey (It probably latches a setting on the voicemail server and requires something very non-standard like a reinstall to get it switched off).

But as the folks above have said, ensuring you have V source numbers set on each user for their own extension numbers removes the need for them to ever remember the password that they set.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

What you probably need to do is enter a VM password in Manager so that it has one and won't ask them to set one. Once it is there it shouldn't give them anymore grief.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Thanks, everyone for ongoing support! Managing properly configured systems has been so much easier than cleaning up a system that is messed up. I misread "Vextn Source Number" so I didn't understand what Tom was saying. That was the first thing I checked trying to figure out why people were even needing to deal with passwords. When a user calls to complain I am now entering the password for them. I did not pickup on that once set you could not clear it. The interesting thing about that is all of the error messages relating to password complexity cleared after deselecting it.

So my new question would be this; Why would changing the state of password complexity cause users who have V extension source numbers calling from their extension cause certain users to receive a message they need to change their password?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back