Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password doesn't work, database permanently naccessible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohunter

Technical User
Dec 3, 2001
US
I want to implement simple password protection on FE/BE multi-user database at a very small organization. (I'm not talking user and group accounts, but just one password that everybody uses, basically to protect the confidential data from the "outside world.")

I've read up on it, and tested how it works with the FE/BE situation. Seems pretty straightforward.

But I just want to post this, to see if there are stories of password protected databases becoming unopenable for no solvable reason. My client is a little nervous, so I thought I'd do a little research.

Never had any problems myself, but I rarely use the Database Password as it doesn't really offer any security benefits...

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

There are programs which would reveal the password. If somehow the password were lost, the database is not permantly inaccessible.

Let them hate - so long as they fear... Lucius Accius

Ok, thanks. So yes, the database is not inpenetratable, so this is good, and bad . When you say program, do you mean code, or software that one would have to buy somewhere? Know what it's called?

There are commercially available programs that will retrieve the database password. There is also VBA code that will do the same.

Having said that there are programs available that will very quickly and easily determine user name and password details from the Workgroup file too.

There is only so far you can go with Access security (or any other file server database for that matter). Anyone with a bit of time and enough brains to use Google will crack it if they really want to.

Securing your source code is easy enough - just create an MDE file (I've never seen anyone crack that, a the source code isn't stored within the MDE), but this isn't the most important part of your database. Securing the data completely is virtually impossible in Access. I guess it all depends on how valuable your data is and who you're trying to protect it from...

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back