Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Password Change reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetworkAndy

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2005
ZA
Hi All
Either I'm looking in all the wrong places or this question has not been posted yet...
Is it possible to set the password change reminder to remind a user when they have a number of logins left,(IE you have 5 logins left till your password expires, would you like to change it now?), as opposed to the number of days till the password needs to be changed?
Server 2003 & SVR 2003 R2

How do you limit the number of logins allowed until a password must be changed?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Davetoo is right. The standard password policy is related to password age (based on a time and date stamp). You can login as many times as you want during that period. If a user's password expires, say, tomorrow, they could login dozens of times before it expires.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Hi Thanks For the replys

I'm trying to stop the time related expirey of the password and remind the user after x number of logins regardless of how many days or hours..
The situation is such that teachers at a school are constantly being locked out due to password expire, especially after a vac' Yep I know it would be easier to force them to think about the number of days left b4 a vac begins and and adn, but they are the customer and I have to try find a solution.
PS Novel does their password reminder the way I would like to set this up.

From the sounds of what you are looking for then, there are no builtin options that say something like you can login 10 times but then you have to change your password. I guess I am not sure if this is possible in Vista, I know they loaded up a bunch more configurable GPO options when you implement 2008 and Vista together, but of course, this is just my mind wandering a bit.

Cory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back