Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

password box is greyed out Dial-up networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

jillseurre

Technical User
Aug 28, 2003
GB
OS = Windows ME

Dial-up networking
I cant save password because save password box is greyed out .please help
this is windows me but ive had it before on windows 2k and cant remeber how i fixed it !!

This behavior can occur if you are not currently logged on to Windows. If you click Cancel in the logon dialog box that appears when Windows is starting, your password cache list file is not opened, and your passwords cannot be saved.

This behavior can also occur if you have installed Dial-Up Networking, but the client for Microsoft networks or the client for NetWare networks has not been installed.

To resolve this problem try one of the two methods below:

Method 1

When you start Windows, do not click Cancel in the logon dialog box. If you do not have a password, create a new one by typing it in the Password box, or create a null password by clicking OK. If you create a null password, you are no longer prompted to log on to Windows when Windows starts. Creating a null password does not prevent other people from accessing your computer, but does allow you to save your password when you are using Dial-Up Networking or a shared network resource.

NOTE: Creating a null password does not allow you to save your Dial-Up Networking password if you are using user profiles. Using user profiles prevents the Dial-Up Networking password from being saved.

Method 2

If you are not being prompted for the log in when Windows starts, click on start, go to log off user. You will then be prompted to log off the current user, click Yes. This should return you to the Windows log in screen. Log in using your password or click ok to create a null password. After this you should be able to click the save password.

Method 3

Install Client for MSN in Control Panel | Network. Be sure to stay on the phone while the client's computer is restarting. If it is going to work, it usually asks the client to type in a Windows 95 password. It is important that the client does not click cancel at this point, because then it will not work. To ensure they do not always have to type a Windows 95 password they should use a spacebar for the username, and leave the password completely blank. Then click OK. It will ask them to confirm the password, they should click on nothing except OK. They should now be able to save DUN password. They will have a new icon on their desktop called Network Neighbourhood. They should leave it there, or the save password field will go grey again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back