Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

password and profile backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanchia

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
SG
hi,

i am running a 2.5 machine. I have administrator rights, how can i backup all the users including myself passwords and profile ?

thanks ,
alanchia

For usernames, home directories, shells etc, backup /etc/passwd. For passwords associated with those users, backup /etc/shadow.

If you need to backup all user's home directories (which will include .profile files where appropriate), these are usually located under /home/export in Solaris. It may also be an idea to backup /etc/profile for system-wide environmental variables set there. HTH.

hi,

does that mean i just backup the files only ? if i re-install the OS and replace the files backed up, am i able to allow my users to log in as before ?

I would say so, yes. It might be worth running pwconv following the replacement just to be sure that /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow are consistent with each other. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back