Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

passing variable between applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyTilia

Technical User
Jul 25, 2001
US
I'm sure this has a shamefully simple answer- but I just cant seem to get it.

I would like to declare a variable strongly enough that I can reference it from another application.

"Public X as single" doesnt seem to do it. How do a give a variable the kind of scope I need?!

Detail: I have a variable in a piece of VBA code in an ArcView 8 map called X. Some code VBA code in Arc8 opens an MS Access database and runs a macro. The macro opens a form and I would like a field in the form to automatically populate to X, a variable defined in AV 8.

Help??

Thanks-

ps- have searched forums and still cant find enough clues to do this on my own....

AndyTilia,

I am not familiar with ArcView 8 but if it is opening MS Access and running macros from within Access, it sounds like OLE automation is being used. If this is the case, Access's objects are exposed to your application, including forms, controls, and table objects. Your app should be able to read textbox or field values directly. Search your application's Help for OLE.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back