Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing through Class C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numbski

MIS
Mar 27, 2001
US
Well, this could be the wrong forum, so I apologize ahead of time.

I'm setting up a VERY large 802.11b network. Clients will be authenticating MAC addresses with a radius database. Actually a very clean setup until I get to the routing. Imagine this setup:

Code:
Fiber->Router->802.11b AP->Linksys WET11->Cat5->Joe User's PC

Info on the WET11 can be found here:

Argument's sake, let's say the router is doling out class C IP addresses based on radius authentication against the WET11. Under a normal dialup situation, the WET11 would then get the Class C IP address. What I need to know is how I would go about setting it up so that first device plugged into the Cat5 cable gets the class C, and how to go about routing through that WET11. I don't know if that means for each client I need 2 IP ranges, 192.168 and class C, or two class C's. I suppose I could set a static 192.168 IP on all of the WET11's, but then I have to somehow set up the Class C on the first device on the Cat5. Either way hilarity ensues as I attempt to have non-static IP's and have it all route correctly.

Anyone feel up to giving me a hand here? Heh...heh... :(

I am not sure what the problem is with the WET11. I have a couple of these and all I have done is connect to the AP (doing MAC filtering on the AP itself) and all is good. DHCP all that stuff. I guess I am confused?

Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back