Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing SQL to data report designer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPLyonnais

IS-IT--Management
Jul 28, 2003
US
Hello and thank you for looking at my post.

For my project I am using VB 6 and MS Access. I have built a form that will allow the users to create their own queries, and save them for later use. The way I did it was that I gave them a list of about 20 different check boxes so they can select the fields, 3 different drop-down boxes so they can choose 3 “WHERE” constraints, and then 2 drop down boxes so they can “ORDER” by. Well the 20 check boxes are fields from 7 different tables in the database, and depending on how many and which ones they choose, the query that is created in the background will have that many “LEFT OUTER JOINS” and that many “GROUP BY”’s. So in their report if they choose fields that comprise of 3 different tables, then 3 “LEFT OUTER JOINS” will be created and 3 “GROUP BY”’s will be created.

The problem that I am having is finding a way to display the data. I would like to display the data in the Data Report Designer. However, the report that is created can have 2-7 GROUP’s so I am not able to create a standard report. Is there a way that the Data Report Designer can read an SQL statement and determine how many levels of grouping there are?

Or does anyone have any better suggestions on how I can display the data?

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back