Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

passing results from one data provider to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachbgk

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2002
US
I have a report in which i have 2 sections. There is a different data provider for each section. So, i have 2 data providers i.e DP1 & DP2. I want to pass results of a column in DP1 to the DP2.

I know i can do that by including a subquery in DP2 but i do not want to do that as DP1 queries against 100 million row table and i do not want that query to be run twice.

What are my options

What do you mean when you say passing value from DP1 to DP2????? Do you want to compare the value of a Dimension from DP1 with another Dimension in DP2??? Would be useful if you can provide more details!!!

Sri

What i mean is that
DP1 returns a list of customers who have made reservations.
I want DP2 to return more facts about those customers. So i want to limit DP2 by the customers returned in DP1.

You could use a Stored Procedure to source DP1. The procedure could store the results in a table that DP 2 could join to limit itself.

What you are looking for is multi-pass query.

Steve Krandel
BASE Consulting Group

If the selection of customers that have made reservations is based on a fixed condition you can possibly use this selection in a database view to be joined with the fact-table. In the end this is adds up to being another jacket for a multipass query, but may work better to built into a universe.......
Of course this may be quite a heavy operation....

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back