Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

passing parameters to web.show_document

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I use a button on a form to allow the user to submit a report. htt://myserver/dev60cgi/rwcgi60.exe?report=myreport+server=myserver+desformat=pdf..

If I want the user to be presented with a parameter form I just add something like paramform=html, But how can I have the report get its parameter from the form itself. For example, if I want to print a form to the customer that is on screen how do I grab the customer number and send it to the report so the user does not have to enter the number manually?

any suggestions would be appreciated....

I never could get the run_report_object to work with the web forms. I used run_report_object with forms4.5 but had to switch to web.show_document with 6i. Its been a long time now, and I dont remember the details, just that the run_report_object wouldnt work for me and I switched over to show_document to replace it.. If you think the run_report_object is workable with web forms I'll research that again.

thanks

I think that 4.5 had no such command, RUN_PRODUCT was used instead. RUN_REPORT_OBJECT was implemented especially to work on the web.

Regards, Dima

yes, you're right of course. I had to move from the run_product to something else. I couldnt get the run_report_object to work and went with the web.show_document to get around it. So now, I'm struggling with the run_report_object command again and still cant seem to get it to work for me. I know it should, but what examples I can find, I have'nt been able to get to work. Im going through the documentation again trying to figure out where Im going wrong.

thanks again for all the help.

I guess that's part of the problem, I dont get an error, I click my button with the code:
DECLARE
repid REPORT_OBJECT;
v_rep VARCHAR2(100);
rep_status varchar2(20);
BEGIN
repid := find_report_object('orientation');
v_rep := RUN_REPORT_OBJECT(repid);

END;

and the report object 'orientation' exists in the form object navigator, but absolutely nothing happens. No errors, no report, nothing to point me toward the problem.

How is that report object defined? I mean Report Destination Type, Report Server etc. Do you really have a report referenced by that report object?

Regards, Dima

Im basically trying all kinds of variations on this code:

declare
report_id report_object;
report_prop varchar2(20);
report_job_id varchar2(100);

begin
report_id := find_report_object('test');
set_report_object_property (report_id,report_execution_mode,runtime);
set_report_object_property(report_id,report_comm_mode,asynchronous);
set_report_object_property(report_id,report_destype,preview);
set_report_object_property(report_id,REPORT_SERVER,'repserver');
report_job_id := run_report_object(report_id);
end;

In this case the report 'test' is defined in the form as a report and the location property points to the app server and a share i created for the report: \\appserveripaddress\appservershare\orientation.rep

I can not yet find any Oracle references that really explain how to do this.
The Oracle Help and Forms Reference Book just give the example:
DECLARE
repid REPORT_OBJECT;
v_rep VARCHAR2(100);
rep_status varchar2(20);
BEGIN
repid := find_report_object('orientation');
v_rep := RUN_REPORT_OBJECT(repid);

END;

and dont explain anything at all about making it work.

Do you know what properties of the report object in the form object navigator are REQUIRED? my destination is CACHE, my format is PDF, the report server is repserver. How do I refer to the report itself? d:\localdrive\myreport.rep, or myreport.rep, \\myserver\myshare\myreport.rep or some path relative to the application server web "root" The only thing I can imagine at this point is that the report is not being "found" by the form because the report location is not correct.

these are the properties in the form navigator -REPORT

General
name myreport
subclass information
comments
Oracle developer Integration
filename \\myserver\myshare\myrep.rep
execution mode runtime
communication mode asyncronous
data source data block <null>
query name
Reports
report destination type cache
report destination name
report destination format PDF
report server repserver
other report parameters

Can this report be accesed from repserver server by account under which reports engine runs as [/b]\\myserver\myshare\myrep.rep[/b]? Try to put report file to report server into a directory listed in REPORTSxx_PATH variable and use file name without a path.

Then, you can not use Runtime execution mode over web, choose Batch.

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back