Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing Parameters to Crystal 8.5 from VB 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

onetomany

Programmer
May 15, 2000
US
I am developing an application using vb 6.0 and cr 8.5 I have a report that has parameter fields. I am trying to figure out what the best method to pass a parameter to the crystal report.
Right now I am using a the crystal reports ocx control. If there is a better way to use crystal 8.5 with vb 6 I am open to change.

The OCX is a good way, just keep in mind that licensing is a problem with Crystal, they're extremely greedy, read the fine print.

I've been doing Crystal development for almost 10 years, and I'm going to have to drop the product now.

There are 4 ways to integrate CR into VB, and the OCX is the simplest. If it does everything that you need, there is no reason to change. The RDC is the current 'recommended' method which is the most sophisticated, and the best supported. It is also the most complex.

Of course you should read the license, but client applications aren't nearly as bad as server based apps or broadcasting output. There is only one fee that might apply to client applications, and then this is only if you use the 'report creation calls' which allow the user to modify the report. If you use these calls there are royalty requirements, but otherwise there are no licensing or royalty fees for distribution a client based application. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back