Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing parameters into DTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwm76

Technical User
Jan 13, 2005
GB
Gurus,

Could be a rather dumb question, but here goes anyway....

I've set up a simple DTS package in SQL Server 7.0 that I will be using to transfer a large number of Excel spreadsheets with an identical structure into a table in my database.

I would prefer not to have to go into the DTS GUI all the time and change the source Excel filename each time I want to run this. Is it possible to run the DTS package from within, say, a stored procedure and pass the filename as a parameter, and if so how???

Any suggestions much appreciated.

TIA,
Neil

Here is a trick I use. In the DTS package, set you excel source connection to a generic filename like "ImportXL.xls". This way the name stays the same for each run.

When all you need to do is a file Rename/Copy on the file that needs to be imported. One way to do this is w/ a Execute SQL Task task w/ an xp_CmdShell verb. Something like
Code:
EXEC Master..xp_CmdShell 'Copy C:\MyDir\NewExcel.xls Import.xls'

This way you can now execute another Copy command to move the original file, NewExcel, to an archive folder of your choice for safe keeping and then execute a delete command to clean the original file up and get ready for the next file to import.

This is just one of many ways to handle this operation. I am sure you can work this to suite your desired needs.

Thanks

J. Kusch

That will do nicely...

Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back