Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing parameters from parent report when Drilling Through

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatgirl100

Technical User
Oct 19, 2005
CA
Hi there,

I posted a couple weeks ago, but I don't think I provided enough detail. After looking for previous posts on the issue of drill-through and passing prompt parameters from the parent report to the child report, this is the only advice I could find: "You can specify passing multiple fields from your parent report to your drill report. Just select them as 'Columns to be included in the drill through filter' when you set your drill down options."

However, I don't think this helps me because I want to be able to pass through fields that are NOT columns in the parent report, they are just parameters that the user would have selected.

For example:

User selected - Time period - Jan 1/05 - Feb 1/05
Province in ('NS', 'NB', 'NL')
Drug Category in ('Narcotics')

Province # of patients # of prescriptions
NS 100 150
NB 50 75
NL 60 80

Now, I want to be able to drill-through on the province field, and bring up a detailed child report that will show me who those 100 patients are in NS, and what drugs they were prescribed.

I need to be able to pass through the criteria:
Time period - Jan 1/05 - Feb 1/05
Province in ('NS', 'NB', 'NL')
Drug Category in ('Narcotics')

Otherwise, if I just drill through on 'NS', it will bring me back records for ALL drug categories, and for ANY date.

I'm just stumped how to pass through the items I put in my prompt manager so that the user won't have to select them all again when running the child report.

Thanks so much! P.S. I'm using Impromptu 7.3, and am not very experienced, so I don't know a huge amount of the jargon yet.

Kirstin

Okay I think I've solved most of my own problem. I didn't think it was as simple as adding the proper columns (e.g. Province and Drug Category) to both my child reports. I just made sure that they weren't actually fields that are shown in my final report.

However, I'm still battling with figuring out how to pass the Entire Time period because as it stands, I added "Transation Date" to both reports, but when I look at the filter that has been passed through it's just passing Transaction Date = Jan 1/05 instead of Trans Date >= Jan 1/05 and <= Feb 1/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back