Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing Is Null or Is Not Null from VBA to Query Criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakerUSMC

Technical User
May 24, 2003
US
Hello to all,

I have been searching these threads all afternoon, but can't find anything that comes close to what I need. I feel its a simple solution but just can't figure it out.

Here's the situation:

I have a form (frmViewOrphans) that has a combo box on it (cboSponsoredStatus). When an item is selected in cboSponsoredStatus, the value is placed in an unbound textbox (txtSponsoredStatus). Once a status is selected then an 'Open' button is clicked to open another form (frmOrphans) that is based on a query (qryView). qryView is looking at txtSponsoredStatus for its value to filter the records.

I need in VBA coding to pass a Is Null or Is Not Null value to the query criteria. Here is the code that I have so far:

Code:
    If Me.cboSponsoredStatus = "Sponsored" Then

Me.txtSponsoredStatus = [b]Is Not Null[/b]    
    Else

If Me.cboSponsoredStatus = "Unsponsored" Then

Me.txtSponsoredStatus.Value = [b]Is Null[/b]

End If
    End If

But using Is Not Null or Is Null does not work. What do I have to use to obtain the result I am looking for? Using Is Not Null or Is Null in the acutal query works but it doesn't work in VBA...?????

Thanks in advance!!!!

How about running an update query?

In it's simplest form you would run:
Code:
UPDATE Table1 SET Table1.Field1 = Null;

Of course, you'd probably like to put some criteria into it.

You could build your update query in access, and then run it using the Docmd.RunSQL command or the query.execute command:
Code:
Dim db As Database
Dim qdf As QueryDef
Set db = CurrentDb
 Set qdf = db.QueryDefs "qry_ap_AppendOvertimeForAWeek_Old")
        qdf("datPPE") = datPPE  'Set the value of the parameter 1
        qdf("WeekNumber") = intWeekNumber '2
        qdf("PayPeriod") = intPayPeriod '3
        qdf("intWeekNumber") = intWeekNumber '4
        qdf("intPayPeriod") = intPayPeriod
        qdf.Execute '("qry_ap_AppendOvertimeForAWeek_Old")

I hope this helps. Alan

This will not work. Your are basically passing program flow. This would be similar to trying to set the name of a procedure equal to a variable. Yes in the query developer it looks like a string, but the query developer converts that criteria into a sql statement.

How about using the DoCmdOpenForm
If Me.cboSponsoredStatus = "Sponsored" Then
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmOphans", , , "strYourFieldName is Null"
else
If Me.cboSponsoredStatus = "Unsponsored" Then
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmOrphans", , , "strYourFieldName is not Null"
end if

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back