Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing HTMLEncoded data to an IE window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skie

Programmer
Jun 21, 2004
US
I know this is a clunky way to do this. But, I have a client-side application. The user types notes in it. Then there's a button to send those notes to a specific field in existing IE windows.

Code:
Private Sub tsmiSendData_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles tsmiSendData.Click
  Dim notes As String = txtNotes.Text
  For Each url As String In IE.Browser.GetUrls("[URL unfurl="true"]https://blah.blah.blah")[/URL]
    Dim browser As New IE.Browser(url)
    If browser IsNot Nothing Then
      Dim elements As IE.Elements = browser.Document.GetElementsByName("narrativeText")
      If (elements IsNot Nothing) AndAlso (elements.Count > 0) Then
        For Each element As IE.Element In elements
          element.Value = notes
        Next
      End If
    End If
  Next
End Sub

The IE namespace wraps the Microsoft Internet Controls (Interop.SHDocVw.dll) and Microsoft.mshtml (Microsoft.mshtml.dll) into simple objects. It's basically there to save me from from having to cast types, error check, etc.

Code:
Public Class Element
  Private myElement As mshtml.IHTMLElement

Public Property Value() As String
    Get
      'code that doesn't matter here
    End Get
    Set(ByVal value As String)
      Dim encoded As String = System.Web.HttpUtility.HtmlEncode(value)
      If TypeOf myElement Is mshtml.HTMLInputElement Then
        CType(myElement, mshtml.HTMLInputElement).value = encoded
      End If
    End Set
  End Property
End Class

So, here's my problem. In order to avoid injection via XSS, I do an HTMLEncode on the text. This causes the conversion of data like ampersands and qutoes to & and ". This doesn't work, because then the user has to fix the data in the IE windows.

Is there a risk of injection when setting the value of an input textbox? I can't think of a way that it would, but maybe I'm just not devious enough. :)

Is there a better way to pass the data to an input textbox that causes the encoded value to be decoded?

I realize the best solution would be to not have to pass the data through the IE window. Unfortunately, I'm not the owner on that side and the owner is requiring the data be passed through their webpage.

Any help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back