Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

passing datasets with a web service (shema, xsd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapbucket

Programmer
Jun 30, 2002
US
Is it possible to have a web service handle your database connection, data collection, and data filtering, and then just pass a dataset as a return value?

YES, I tried, and it is possible! In fact it is very easy.

But!

What if you want to design a fancy web page based on this dataset that you are receiving from a web service? A problem arises: you, as the designer of a fancy web page, want to use .NETs built in table/column-name grabber (like you would if you had a OleDbAdapter and you make a dataset through that OleDbConnection: when you look at the .xsd schema data you have all of your tables and columns already named - how wonderful!!), but it seems that because you don't have a "OleDbConnection" (or whatever connection you are working with) the .xsd file is not automatically filled in and you have to: DO EVERYTHING BY HAND. Dread. Dispair. Grief. I have over 100 columns in my table!

So, is there a way to get this info without having to call up the web service company and beg and plead for a .xsd file that they "forgot" to offer me?

Seriously Lazy,

Tom

They may not have an XSD to give you. But they should be able to give you a spec what all the columns are (names, datatypes, etc).

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back