Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing data between 2 VB6 applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerrysc

Technical User
Oct 22, 2012
CA
Hello,
I am trying to pass data from on VB6 application to another. Do I have to use DLL or OLE, or are there any other ways to do it. I have never used DLL or OLE, and haven't used VB for a while. Any suggestions are appreciatedd.
Thanks,
gerry

This question has certainly come up before in this forum. Have you done a search?

Note that exactly what sort of data you want to transfer may inform the technique that is to be used, since you can choose from such methods as a file, DDE, shared memory, streams, winsock, DLL/OLE ...

The volume, frequency, response time and other requirements can make a difference in choosing an approach as well. There are some alternatives that are uni-directional and require opposing "channels" if feedback is required.

There is even MSMQ, that doesn't require that "B" even be running for "A" to send data to it.

Some of the choices are only practical (or work best) when there is a "parent/child" relationship between two programs. Things like anonymous pipes and many COM approaches fall into that category.

Thanks strongm,
I just want to read a numeric value (0 - 30000) and check couple of bits to see if they are on or off.
What method do you suggest I use? I did read trough the Forum, but still not sure what way to go.
gerrysc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back