Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passing a username and password to a Firewall popup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cturland

Programmer
Sep 25, 2000
GB
Hi all,

Is it possible to pass a username and password automatically to a Firewall popup?

Thanks in advance,
Carl

Carl, what do you mean by a Firewall Popup ??

ToddWW

When you get a password protection pop-up when you try to access the page. It comes up in a javascript type of box - a bit like when you try and access a password protected computer on a network.

I don't want the user to see this and would like to pass my password and username straight into it.

Oh, now I see. Like standard Windows Authentication when you log onto a computer on the network.

I don't think you can mess with this from a web developers standpoint, JavaScript or any other. I think the closest you may come will be client side VBScript which seems to be a little more forgiving on the security. Downside there is that it is only IE compatible.

Search the Knowledge Base at Microsoft and see if you come up with anything.

ToddWW

I had a reply on another thread. You pass the password and username like this,

username:password@
It works fine. Bad thing is that anyone can view the source and see the code, but what I'm designing is internal so that doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back