Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

passing ë chars to flashMX listbox with getvars 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasJSmart

Programmer
Sep 16, 2002
Hi,

Im trying to pass some special characters to flash like ëèï etc. to flash using a loadvars() object.
This loads a textfile with variables like:

foo=bër&foo2=bïr

These are then loaded into the FlashMX listbox with
list.addItem(foo, foo2);

problem is its not working.... The problem being the special chars as adding normal text works fine.

Any ideas what im doing wrong?

Thank you,
Thomas

I learned a bit yesterday, today i learned a lot, imagine what i'll learn tomorrow!

Addition: i would prefer to use phps function urlencode to change all the special characters to %20 type entries. but can flash (listbox) handle these?

I learned a bit yesterday, today i learned a lot, imagine what i'll learn tomorrow!

Yes Flash can handle URL encode. To decode the encoded string, just use "unescape()".

Alternatively, you can generate a Unicode XML from PHP. Then you can use any character in any language.

Kenneth Kawamoto

Thank you for your reply. I cant realy do it in xml anymore.. to much code has been written already based on the loadvars system and i need to finish this project.

i tried with the unescape but with no luck.

this is the data in the textfile generated by php:

Code:
total=5&entry1=Geloof+en+Bijgeloof+etalage+en+display&organizer1=Boomker+boeken%2B&num1=1&entry2=De+Kabbalist&organizer2=Boomker+boeken%2B&num2=2&entry3=Mythen+en+Bomen&organizer3=Hortus+Haren&num3=3&entry4=Henricus+Munting+en+de+geneeskunst+in+de+gouden+eeuw&organizer4=Hortus+Haren&num4=4&entry5=De+Magi%EBr&organizer5=Hortus+Haren&num5=5

its <b>entry5=De+Magi%EBr</b> thats being a problem, this should read Magiër in Flash.

this is the (simplified) flashcode:

Code:
listdata.sendAndLoad("getlist.php", listdata, "POST");
listdata.onLoad = function() {
    trace(listdata.entry5);
    trace( unescape(listdata.entry5));
}

this returns "De Magi" in both cases. So it seems the whole ë part isnt even getting into flash for some reason?

That did the trick!! Thank you!

(next time deffenetly xml!)

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back