Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Passed Security+ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

schase

Technical User
Sep 7, 2001
US
Took it today after much sweating last night due to my gung-ho attitude in scheduling the exam.

Got an 852. Not a 900 but I'm ok with it given I had only very very limited exposure to the subject before studying for it. Took about 2 months of studying roughly 2 hours a night. (sometimes more on weekends).

Here is what I used

-TCat's Security+ Super Mega pack which has the inside scoop, practice test, "The PDF".
-Sybex Security+ (got the first edition by mistake)
-Cramsessions free guide
-Security+ Fast Pass
-Test King's Security+ Guide
-Discount Exams practice test
-Test King's Practice test
-Preplogic Test
-few other smaller guides.

Costs.
TCat's - 59.00
Sybex - 47.25
FastPass - 36.87
Discount - 19.00
Preplogic - 89.00
TestKing - 85.98
Exam Cost - 164.00
Total - $501.10 (not counting paper to print the PDF)

I have to say, I bought TCat's stuff without looking at any reviews at all. Given that I was comfortable with prior guides there wasn't even a question. I wish I had looked at reviews. I found the book and exam to be wanting. I know the material in there is factual and valid. But the book is difficult to follow and the spelling and such is really not good. It does say in the beginning that they rushed to get it out and to expect them. But IMHO - if you are paying for a professional study guide - more than you pay for others, than it should get up to speed. I even tried to give the book a fair shot by reading it a second time - got halfway through it and had to put it down. No matter how great the information contained in it is - if you cannot follow it very well, it is devalued.

If I were to compare it to Sybex's book - there is no comparison, and I had the first revision of Sybex's where TCat's had gone through a revision in 2003. I always found the quiz engine on Tcat's to be clumsy, and at times I've had 4 questions repeated 10 plus times in the same test. Plus inaccuracies in the test too. The inaccuracies you will find in almost any test - but it goes back to the earlier statement of quality. I realize the Security+ customers are fewer than the A+ or Net+ but still - it is not a book I can not recommend to someone with limited exposure to the subject.

Sybex's book in contrast is excellent, only a few dry spots to go through but not bad given the material.

The Fast Pass book is not bad. You cannot read the book and pass it without knowing the subject material first. What it does do - and does well, is gives you a compressed version of the material. So for example if your at the end of a 700 page book and you lost track of say PGP - than the book will give you enough overview to help reinforce the knowledge.

All in all, I'm satisfied, and happy it's over.

Onto MCSE

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

comment on my own post above.

the TestKing exam I got was the final Practice test program I got. I was getting to the point of being worried I was memorizing Preplogic's, discounts & TCat's so I opted for one more.

In the back of my head something was tingling about TestKing but I couldnt recall what the heck it was.

Then when I sat through the exam I saw why. Or at least a good amount of the questions I could recall some from the TK version. Granted I saw pretty close questions on the other practice exams also but I couldn't place what where.

That'll be the last time I get a TK exam. I'm confident I could have passed it with or without the TK exams. But I dislike that type of practice testing. I didn't study for 2 months digesting material to have basically a braindump practice exam.

The only thing I really liked about the TK exam was it's method of history keeping, and sometimes their explanations were pretty good. Discount exams were lacking in both departments. Preplogic's are ok on history, and pretty good on explanations.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

Good Show!

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,CETma,CFOT,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Thanks Glister

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

Thanks much Wishdiak.

Hey out of curiosity - I was reading some of your posts over on the MS certs forum. Why did you go for MCSA prior to MCSE? wouldn't that end up making you take an extra exam or two?

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

schase,

My situation was probably unusual, if not unique, in that I was able to get classroom time, books, and a virtually unlimited number of vouchers without paying anything out of pocket. This wonderful blessing was a gift from the U.S. government, since the company that I worked for shut down our office and laid off 350 people in September, 2003.

Now, on to your question.

My ultimate goal with MS certification is MCSE: Security, since I have all the books and exam vouchers that I need.

This will consist of:
70-270
70-290
70-291
70-293
70-294
70-298
70-299
Security+ (elective)

I've passed them all, with the exception of 70-294 and 70-298. The subset that I've taken and passed qualifies me for MCSA: Security. Who am I to complain?

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

yea that makes sense where the out of pocket costs are not as prominent. That way at least you can have the MCSA on the resume as you finish up MCSE

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

Thanks for the info schase. I've been studying for the security + exam myself (on and off for the last 4 months) and have finally decided to set up the exam for September. I appreciate the honesty of your statements as I myself have found TCat's study guide a little "off", compared to Sybex's study book.

One more thing, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Thanks tfg13,

Everybodies mileage varies on the study guides, but it's good to let each other know how we found the guides I think.

And good luck with your test!

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

Hey All,

I am new o this Site. I have am planning to sit my Security+ Exams soon. But I need a good dump to revise and familiarise myself as to what to expect in the actual exams. Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks All

Viki

Viki23,

To elaborate on tfg13's post, plenty of folks here (myself included) feel that braindumps often times lead to failure.

Braindumps are no substitute for learning the material well. A good Security+ book and some practice exams are far more effective for both passing the exam and knowing the material in the long run.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back