Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pass Values to Unrelated Pages ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbedude

Programmer
Jun 6, 2003
US
First off Thank you in advance for the consideration in your replies.
Is It Possible populate and/or submit a page you have no Rights or Control over from another Page you do Control?

Ok Heres Some Background information
The site i will be developing is for an inventory system.
So all the Records will be Parts and the fields will be the description of that part in the inventory system. One of the Fields is a Product Reference Number. Obviously -The combination of Parts makes up a Product. This is the Reference Number.
A Product Look up site was developed by a differnt Department of the Organization. The Product look up site uses the Reference Number to locate that particular products PDF file which contains The Design Diagrams.
I Have absolutely No Control or Admin rights to that site or its files on the server(Office Politics at its Best).
The lookup page is very Basic - All it Contains is a Text Box and a Submit button. The User just Inputs the Ref Number and submit and it brings up the PDF File.

I would like to have the user when they click on the Ref # to Open the Look up Site and have that same Ref # Automaticly populate the txt box Value for them to submit.
Is It Possible populate and/or submit a page you have no Rights or Control over from another Page you do Control?

Im making this asumption Based on sites Like DogPile.com which uses a Meta-Search to Find what your looking for in multiple search engines like Google and Yahoo . . .
These sites seem unrelated and the search submits to all of those search engines and comes back with Replies.

Thank you in Advance,
NewbeDude

Sort of.
If you know what the site uses to populate that field IF they ever populate that page.
for example lets say I have an asp page with a form field that I want to populate from another page.

<input type = &quot;text&quot; name = &quot;myTextBox&quot; value = &quot;<%=request.querystring(&quot;myFieldValue&quot;)%>&quot;>

If you just happen to know that I can populate the field with a a query string (
you could then replace &quot;TheValueIUse&quot; for anything you want.
however if i want to use a form variable to fill the value:
<input type = &quot;text&quot; name = &quot;myTextBox&quot; value = &quot;<%=request.form(&quot;myFieldValue&quot;)%>&quot;> it will be much harder to see what i'm going to use. in the querystring you can see the name of my variable (myFieldValue) you don't have the advantage when i look for a form value.

Another thing that is very important. if they never have a need to populate that field automaticaly, you wont be able to because there isn't any server side check to fill the value.

however you may want to ask the javascript forum if you can open a page you have no control over with window.open then do a child.field.value = &quot;whatever&quot; I don't know the answer to that one.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- Quote by Douglas Adams

You maybe able to bypass the other page altogether. Their form is just an HTML page used to collect some parameters and fire a script in the back end. You can collect the same values and send it to the same back-end script direct. Like this...

Go to the other form, view its source. you should find somewhere a form like this
[tt]
<form action=&quot;some/script/address/here&quot;>
<input name=&quot;refno&quot;>
<input type=&quot;submit&quot;>
</form>
[/tt]
(obviously this is much simplified. Looking at this will tell you what the script is called and what fields you need to pass it - just write your own form to address the same target.

-- Chris Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back