Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pass through query updateable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmaddox

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2002
US
I created a select query in Query Designer which gets data from a linked MS SQL server table. It works, and the recordset is updateable. Then I converted it to a SQL Specific Pass Through Query. It still works, but the recordset is now read only.
Does anyone know if pass through querys are only read only, or am I missing something that will alow the data result to be updateable?

Pass through queries are not updatable because they do what the name implies, the pass the query through to the database engine and expect a result, they can't update the result because that would no longer be a pass through. There is no need to use a pass through query inside Access, they should be used only if you are attaching to a database using ODBC.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. Sometimes the help references define what things are, but leave out the part about why you would do it, or what it won't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back