Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pass through login details to modal popup

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsthehampton

Programmer
Sep 13, 2005
CA
Hi all,

Our school uses 'weeblys' for the some of the kids websites, for example

When our parents are logged into our SharePoint, I would like to somehow pass through the password (which we know of course) from a link to these sites and automatically login to the weebly.

Is this at all possible please? Weebly say no, but maybe you guys know how it can be done?

Cheers,

Jeff

Unless "Weebly" provide an API or maybe an AJAX "plugin" script (where the password would be visible in the source code) You don't.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

When our parents are logged into our SharePoint, I would like to somehow pass through the password (which we know of course) from a link to these sites and automatically login to the weebly.

If you know the password you must be storing it clear text. Surely you must know the security implications of this are not good?

Storing it cleat text is plain wring (no pun intended). Surfacing this to another website is even worse.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
[blue]@[/blue] Twitter:

Thanks guys,

You're scaring me now!

There is nothing of any importance behind the scenes and of course some sites allow the login details to be passed through the querystring. I was thinking of these guys that post to forms automatically and wondered if that tech could be used for a good purpose.

No probs. as we just tell everyone the generic password anyway.

Cheers,

jeff

You're scaring me now!

That should be our line, not yours. Storing passwords in cleartext (or even via an encryption method that is easily reversed) is the scary thing. If I were one of these parents, I would be filing a complaint with the ICO if I found out what you were doing.

Dan

The parents have to login to SharePoint first, where they will be presented with the password. It's just an idea to remove that step of having them login once more to the weebly.
Not really a case for the ICO.

Cheers,
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back