Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pass multiple values to Type In Prompt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm21

Programmer
Feb 6, 2003
CA
Hi

Is there any ways to pass multiple values to Type in Prompt.

I have a client prompt where I need to pass more than one values to a report.

If I use Report picklist, it becomes huge because I have 8000 records for clients - which is not user friendly.

Please let me know is there any way out of this without using macro.

Thanks.

How about this?

Select Single, Muttiple or All values from a large Prompt

Description:

In Impromptu, is it possible to create a prompt (or prompts) that allows a user to select all, some, or one value for a report?

In some instances, you can have a single Report Picklist prompt to do this. Using an 'in' statement in the filter users would be able to Ctrl-click to select multiple values, or Shift-click to select ALL values.
If the Report Picklist is expected to be extremely long (many values) then it may be easier to achieve this with the following strategy.

Solution:

1) Create a report that will contain the column for the Report Picklist. Lets call this column "Customer Name" for this example.
2) Create the main report that will display the required columns to the user.
3) Once the required columns are in the report start adding the first prompt.
a) Report menu >> Prompt Manager >> New
b) Create this prompt by following the example below:
NAME: "Type In"
TYPE: Type In
MESSAGE: "Don't type a value into this prompt if you would like to view all records."
DataType: String
4) Now create the second prompt.
a) From within the Prompt Manager Click New
b) Create this prompt by follow the example below:
NAME: "Report Picklist"
TYPE: Report Picklist
MESSAGE: "If the above is not blank the selected values in this prompt will appear."
REPORT: Browse to the report that you created in Step 1.
USE: Customer Name
DISPLAY: Customer Name
5) Once both your Prompts have been setup, close the Prompt Manager dialog box.
6) The next step is to create the filter.
a) Report menu >> Query >> filter tab.
b) Added the following filter into the report:
Customer Name in (?Report Picklist?) or ?Type In? = ' '

The report is now ready for users to select a single, multiple or all values for this report.

Notice that if the Type-In prompt is blank then ALL the values will return in the report regardless as to what is selected in the Report Picklist. That way a user will not have to scroll through an extremely large picklist to Shift-Click all the values.
NOTE: the prompt will not run if you choose to select no values at all in either report. So if the Type-In prompt is blank then the Report Picklist must have a value selected.

Also, notice that if the Type-In prompt is not blank (any value entered into the prompt) then the selected values in the Report Picklist will be the only values displayed in the Report.

Oh, and the other fact is that you cannot simply type in multiple entries in the type in prompt.

Waspy,

Thank you for you reply.

But I want to avoid using report picklist because it contains about 8000 record which is a big list for users to go through.

How can I use mutiple entries in the type in prompt?

dm21,
you might want to check out this FAQ.... faq401-2137 it might help clear things up for you about what about what you can and cannot not do with type-in prompt

Thanks,
Tusky
IT/Programmer

As I said - not functionality. You can only enter one value in a type in prompt. The above example will give you a possible way of getting this, but if you are looking at 8000 items, surely you can be logical and create a cascading prompt by some logical split of the data? Even if it is just alphabetic? Or regional? I would question the usefulness of the report for adhoc querying as nobody will remember 8000 seperate entities. How are they going to remember which to type, even if multiples were allowed?
Good luck on finding something though, and I guess you could play with a macro to force something into this format..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back