Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pass Login Information In URL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdemmi

MIS
Jun 6, 2001
US
OK....here's my problem. I am suporting a 3rd party asp.net web enterprise application. The application, like most, requires user authentication and therefore the "front page" is a login page. The user's credentials are stored in the application's database. So before proceeding beyond this page the user must enter his/her user name and password and then click the "sign in" button.

Because this is a web application it is possible to copy URLs from inside the application and send them to users. If you do this, when the user clicks on the url it first takes them to the login page and once they have logged in it then takes them to the page/record from which the url was copied. (this is good)

But...here's what I want to (need to) do.

In some cases we do not want the user to have to login. We want to embed the user name and password in the URL or pass it in some other manner.

In trying to do so I've traced the actual htpp traffic and post statements sent to the web application. I was able to trap the actuall concatenated url (including the user name and password). So I thought I was making progress. But when I manually constructed a similar URL and pasted it into a browser address bar it didn't work.

Any ideas?

Here's a few examples.

App login window URL

Sample URL that can be clicked which will first direct user to login and then will take user directly to record

I know this is as clear as mud but ask any questions which may help you help me.

Thanks

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

You'd need to ask your web app provider to accept GET as well as POST requests for the login.

If you do that, you should be able to pass all the details in the URL.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back