Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pase 1 Field into 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robyne

Technical User
Mar 2, 2002
US
I have a field that contains City State Zip and I need break out the Zip Code. I did this once a long time ago with a different piece of software by searching for a space and I can't remember the rest, but again - it was long ago. Is there an easy way to do this? I prefer not to export to Excel because I think I'm going to need this in more that a few reports. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Could you state what Cognos product & version you're using? e.g. Impromptu 7.1, ReportStudio 8.2, Transformer 6.5

Without such, I'll just offer a generic tip - since the field may contain multiple spaces (e.g. City could be 'Los Angeles' or State 'North Dakota'), one can't rely on the third 'word' being the zip code. It might be easier to reverse the string, obtain the first 'word' and then reverse such to give you the Zip code.

soi là, soi carré

It's all new to us, but I want to say ReportStudio.

Yes, I was planning on working backwards. And I want to say all I'll need is the Zip Code. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back