Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner system

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet14

Technical User
Jan 28, 2005
US
Is the partner system hard to setup? I have never setup a phone system. I have do everything in computers, network and etc.

Partner System is know for reliability and ease of use. I had no training on the system and have been programming it for 15 years. It is like cooking, if you can read, you can cook.

My advice, get an up-to-date manual, and read it through first. When you program the system keep detailed notes. On extension assignments and features utilized. Because I do not program Partner systems for a living, and because our system has been so reliable in the past, I do not have to program the system very often. Because of this lapse in time, I often forget the particulars and having detailed notes shortens the re-learning curve significantly.

Some the of the programing of the Partner system I consider slightly illogical (who among us wouldn't have set-up any program differently to better suit our own logic) but it all works and makes sense. Not brain-surgery if I can do it, anyone can.

Our business encompasses 3 separate profit centers and the Partner II system handles 14 incoming lines routed to over 40 extensions. A 4 port mail system has 3 automated attendants routing to an array of menus and sub-menus. It can get complicated but again, good notes help. Makes copies of any of the blank forms that the manuals suggest you fill out and keep-em handy.

Good luck.

go to the faq at the top of the page there is a link to avaya where you can download a pdf manual

just be usre to get the manual for the particular partner you are using .

As Farmer Tech said, the Partner system has the reputation for being a reliable system, but the latest ACS revision (R7) has had an elevated number of problems either out of the box, or shortly after installation (mostly dead or noisy ports). It looks like Celestica, the company Avaya contracts out the production of the Partner & Magix product lines, may have had a bad run of the processor. [sad]

2 threads in this forum list some of the problems vendors have found with the newest revision processor, but for the price & features offered by the Partner ACS processor, it still deserves serious consideration. [smile]

Hi chet14,
I would recommend the system be installed by a trained Avaya guy. A phone system is only as reliable as the install and this will save you money in the long run. Once the first year is up you are on your own warranty wise.
While the system is being installed, watch and get trained so you can look after most things yourself. You can use your installer (your interconnect) when things get complicated. A Partner system is easy (for phone guys) to setup, and you will learn it over a little time. It is the little things you need to watch for that will take you down.
BTW, I have not had any trouble with the two ACS R7 systems yet. We shall see.
-Chris

Here is the way I see this issue.

The avaya partner of the 4 factories systems I have installed has a lower failure rate than the other non avaya systems I have installed.
It has the potential to give your company a return on your investment through it's time saving contributions to your bottom line.

That being said, it has potential to save your company money. It is a good investment by any standard.

Here is the question: What does having a qualified technician do for the organization who installs a partner system.
Let us assume that you have purchased the avaya equipment. You have spent a considerable amount of money at this point The system as it sits in the box will not contribute, and having an unexperienced installer implement the install will probably get you up and running to varying degrees of efficiency.
What the qualified installer does is take this powerful communications platform with its many features, configurations, and options and considers them. He then learns enough about your business to develope an application of this platform specificaly for your business needs, and then train you how to use that specific application.

I have seen many systems installed that worked fine, and after sitting down and talking to them while they are yet unwilling to spend any money to have me make changes. Discussed with them some of the capabilities the system has which they are not using, and how it would effect their bottom line through time saving application of the technology they already own and are not using. As a rule they end up saying, " it can do that", "we never got trained on how to do that" signing a work order to have me make some basic changes and do some training, to see how it impacted their business. After a few weeks they call me back and say, "ok, that did work, what other ideas do you have that you think would save us time? "

In short, after spending the money on this plaform, the tecchnician makes that expenditure worth the investment. His experience and knowledge of the platform will give him an insight in how best to develope an application to meet and hopefully exceed your expectations.

I wonder if Farmertech originaly set up the multiple auto attendants, array of menus and sub menus, or if he walked in to a system which was already set up by a qualified technician. I am not saying that Farmertech could not do it, and more power to him if he did!!! I also wonder if a qualified tech could not find some things that Farmertech would be interested in having, if he had consulted one. He could answer this for you. He could also tell you how long he had to study the manuals, fill out the forms to plan the set up of his system. Also, how long it took to implement the installation, and programming of the system, and to train all the users and administrators. If he can tell you this, then you could make an informed decision.

Also, as the market will bare, if we did not have something to offer that was cost effective as technicians, I would not be 15 pounds overweight, and making a decent living.

Just one opinion, thanks for your time.

Todd

AARENOT is absolutely correct in stating that technicians have their place in the installation and programing of complicated telephony. I believe that CHET14 was asking if the Partner System was conducive to self-install & programming.

Many of us have encountered extremely engineered proprietary systems (in many diverse products) that require unique tools or specialized codes or protected access to information systems. The result of this engineering is to discourage a layperson from being able to install and service the equipment in question. I have discovered the Partner system NOT to be of this ilk.

I happen to be located in a rural area which requires a certain amount of self sufficiency. Being a small business also places constraints on what funds are available for technical assistance. Large businesses have in-house IT, other businesses can justify a technical service on retainer or on an annual bid basis. Really small businesses usually have to go with a time & materials contract for occasional service. This can be expensive. To give an example, I use a VideoJet coder on a production line. The nearest VideoJet tech. is over 3 hours away and I pay $60 per/hour when he gets into his car. If the tech merely says hello in person to me I have spent $360. This is IF he is even available. Considering the potential cost of service AND the cost of downtime, I had better acquaint myself with the equipment.

I have found the Partner system to be VERY forgiving. I have a somewhat complicated situation. The property is large with many buildings and even traverses municipal borders. Back in the early 80's when I started I had a Merlin system in 1 business and the rest of the buildings had separate demarcs off various trunks depending on which municipality the building was in. This was crazy. I would use up two lines to call someone in a building 20 yards away.

I walked into an AT&T store at a Mall and walked out with a Partner cabinet, processor and 3 ea. 206 cards. Smooth sailing ever since. Ditched the Merlin system and ran the two trunks onto our private underground cableing to the Partner system. (advantage Merlin was a 3 pr. system and Partner was 2 pr.) I have moved the entire Partner system 2 times since to other more convenient locations on the property. I run a considerable number of IROB's and have placed system phones 1800+ ft. though 3 or 4 66 blocks without a problem.

The Partner system was very scaleable for us. We are now at the maximum buildout for cards and use a T1. We have 3 separate businesses that use the same Partner system and they share a receptionist that routes calls during daylight hours and can answer distinctively for each in-coming line. We also have three residences on the property whose phone lines are routed through the Partner system and get to enjoy voice mail and other services. The real benefit is that with the call accounting, each business has outcalling access to ALL lines and are charged accordingly.

AARENOT is also right that the Partner system offers MANY options that unknowledgable persons may not be aware that they can take advantage of. My experience has been that the major constraint in taking advantage of these options is not technical knowledge but rather end-user adoption. Nothing frustrates me more than when employees don't bother to use Call Forwading/Call Follow Me or use Do Not Disturb programming to thwart Group Hunt and Group Ring options or hide behind voice-mail.

All in all the Partner system has served us well and if AARENOT lived in my town he would be on my speed-dial. Unfortunately there are those of us in circumstances where technical assistance is difficult to come by. Which makes places like this site VERY important.

Thank you to all who participate.

Hey all,
Hats off to you Farmertech, it seems you have proven the user friendly atributes, and the longevity of the partner II system!
The newer offerings of the Partner ACS systems, now at the release 7 for the latest updated system, has built upon that user friendly history. The capacities of the partner ACS 7 have expanded, and added more capabilities.
Remote system and voice mail programming and administration using (GUI) graphical user interfaces would be one of the most notable to Farmertech. These not only allow PC based software for programming which will make the administration easier for the local administrator, but remote system and voice mail administration.
Farmertech can now have a qualified technician make nearly all programming changes, without ever visiting his site via a modem. It would even allow him to install the system hardware himself, and have the system programmed remotely by a qualified technician.
He may not need or desire this, but it changes his sistuation regarding access to cost effective qualified technical assistance.
Farmertech, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. On the other hand if you need to expand, consider the partner ACS systems, and add a qualified techniican to your speed dial. You may have to pay the long distance for the call, but now technical assistance is not so difficult to come by.
Glad you are happy with your partner II, and if you are in somewhere sunny and warm, maybe I would stop in for a day while on vacation to install an ACS 7 for you. It is cold here in Wisconsin and I could use a vacation somewhere I could lay on the beach and catch some rays. After I lose the 15 pounds that is.

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back