Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

partner static on port 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjwhite

Technical User
Dec 28, 2005
US
I went thru a bunch of threads and have not found my answer has anyone found a cure for static on ports on a partner 206 module I have been replacing the modules but after a while another one goes defective it seems to me a solder connection does anyone have another thought

Because of their age, 206 modules tend to develop static & noise on ports. I once read somewhere that the cause of noise & static on Partner ports (not just the 206, but across the platform) is failing capacitors, but I can't vouch for that.

Tech help sites, like Tek-Tips and others, don't really delve too deeply into component repair because that is beyond the scope of most CPE vendors.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

I agree with Dexman, it is most likely electrolytic capacitors going bad, and unless you are expert with component level servicing, it is better replacing the module.

Over time some electrolytic capacitors degrade: they dry out, open, short, leak, and even explode! Tantalums are better, but are more expensive and are not available in large values, and there are other trade offs.

....JIM....

its caps , Ive changed them out but its not worth the trouble

unless you do them all and change the power supply , By that

time you have more parts and labor in it than a new 308

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back