Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Partner messaging R7 problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

klg1

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2003
US
Hello,

I spend a lot of time away from the office, and recently noticed our AA is not answering our calls. While it has been a long time since I set this up originally, in the past 72 hours I feel like I've tried everything to get the config working again. Here is what I have:

5 slot carrier
slot 1: Partner Messaging R7, 4 port card in PCMCIA 1
slot 3: Partner ACS R7, single line
all other slots empty
I have had good success with PC Administration in the past.

Symptoms:
- AA did not answer sigle line like before
- Intercom, 777 gives a busy signal
- dialing any of the vm extension gives a busy signal
- seems I'm not able to retrieve the translation or diagnostic data when connecting via serial cable. I get errors about "the incomplete image file has been discarded" and "Requested operation failed due to loss of connectivity to the remote PARTNER system"

What I've tried:
- reload translation & restore from internal memory - no change
- power down, reseat both modules in same slots - no change
- power down, pull both mods, remove batteries - no change
- power down, move PMR7 to slot 2, restart, try Intercom-777, and other tests of vm ports - no change, moved PMR7 back to slot 1.
- Full reset #989, re-enable PC administration via #730, upload fresh translation file (ports 19, 20, 21, 22 in hunt group 7, each of these ports have AA-VMS on line 1) - no change
- tried programming directly from station 10, #505 Group 7, add 19, 20, 21, 22. Now dialing Intercom-777 rings, but no answer. Dialing to ext 19, 20, 21, or 22 still gives me a busy signal.
- subsequent translation upload, now Intercom-777 gives me a busy again; still cannot reach vm on 19, 20, 21, or 22.
- brwosing to IP address of PMR7 gives me the login screen (don't remember the password)
- trying to use the PMR7 GUI admin to no avail (apparently lost password)
- I have a pretty old backup of the AA which I hope to use, because it is still valid in terms of prompts, recordings, etc.

Guys & Gals, what am I missing? I've been very happy and fortunate with this system until now, but it seems like I should be able to get some signs of life out of this thing if the integrated web server still has my configured IP address and still responds...

Thank you very much for your help,
klg1

My thought is that the hard drive is shot.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Dexman,

Interesting. Any thoughts on why I'm not able to retrieve the diagnostic data? I was hoping this data would either rule-in or rule-out something (like a failed HDD, bad slot/carrier, etc.) but I don't really know how exhaustive the data is.

If it is a bad HDD, is this field replaceable?

Thank you,
klg1

The hard drive is field replaceable and replacements often appear on eBay... however ...

If the unit is under warranty, contact the company that sold you the unit. If you crack open the enclosure you will void the warranty.

I've never connected a computer to the voicemail to retrieve data so I'm not able to answer that part of the question.

One trick to try.....Program an intercom button for each of the 4 ports assigned to the voicemail. Are the ports constantly busy?

your diagnostic data is the one from the phone system not the one from the voicemail, you could try to get the hyper terminal on the serial port of the voicemail working and see if you get any data out of it that way but I would probably go Dexmans way and see if the ports all appear busy and if so then your voicemail is shot. make sure it is seated correctly so take it out say two or three Ave maria and put it back give it a good whack to be seated all the way in and try again. Remember that a Messaging will take much longer to recover then the phone system part of it. the Messaging R7 takes sometimes 3-5 minutes to get working.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Dexman,

Thank you. I will try your suggestion this evening.

However, just to clarify the computer connection I was referring to in my last post, I've noticed that retrieving the current translation and diagnostic data via the "PC Administration" software (connecting to the processor from a PC via 355AF serial cable) fails.

I had hoped any diagnostic data retrieved may reveal the culprit, but so far these fail each time. 'Just wondering if this is a common occurrence, or if there is a subtlety in doing this that I've overlooked.

Thank you,
klg1

Thanks Joe - will try those suggestions as well!

klg1

I guess I'm old fashioned. I haven't used the PC Administration either. [sad]

PC admin is quite nice for the general programming and the features enabled on phone group stuff, names and lists, but the button programming is far inferior to programming from the phone.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

I finally got the AA to answer the line again. Reseating it again must have helped, though I'm still not able to pull the diagnostic data from the processor. Strange, but I can fight that another day I suppose...

Thank you all,
klg1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back